Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Virtual Learning

We no longer use the abacus.  While the practical benefits of the abacus have never been questioned, we as a society have moved beyond using abacus.  Using an abacus is much more personal than using a calculator, you physically have to move the beads and there is something to be said for being that closely involved with your work.  Traditional schools and education as we know it are the abacus and the internet is a really nice calculator.

you can still be a part of BYOD

I think there will always, always be a place to the traditional classroom.  By no means am I taking the position here that we need to do away with the traditional class setting and move everything online.  Especially in the earlier grades, socialization is just as, or perhaps even more important than the subject matter being taught.  

I’ve got friends I don’t need to learn math

The fact of the matter is that by high school kids should be allowed to take whatever courses interest them.  If those courses happen to fall outside of the realm of what is offered at the school, using a virtual school to bridge that gap is a no brainer.  

finally I can pursue my love of UNDERWATER basket weaving

Does this scare me a bit as a high school teacher?  Yes it sure does, but I truly believe that what I offer in my class benefits students and gives them a unique experience they could not get online.  That may be the biggest change that teachers in the traditional classroom need to make.  We need to figure out how to make our classes more attractive so kids will continue to want to take them.

Thanks Ron!
Which brings me to my final point.  Students will continue to have access to more and more virtual classes.  They can go at their own pace in these classes, and get specific up to date feedback, along with resources which can enrich their experience.  As classroom teachers we have competition, personally I think that is a good thing because it forces us to take a hard look at our practices and how we can be more effective teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment